Thank you to all who attended The Caribbean Family HIstory Group AGM and talk on Saturday 24th April. The meeting lasted longer than usual due to the AGM and the interesting talk that followed. Whitney Peterson, Content Strategist at Family Search gave an informative talk on how Family Search started microfilming in 1960’s and moved on to publishing digital images in 2008. The organisation now has more than 1m searchable name indexes. Caribbean records from 7 different islands will be available online later this year. This is where YOU can help. Family Search ask for volunteer’s help with indexing. You can choose your geographical area and then work at your own pace. If you are interested:
- Log into Family Search as normal. If you don’t have a log in, set one up – it’s free.
- When logged in , the page will look like this:
- Simply click on the tab at top left, that states ‘Indexing’.
- Look at the ‘Overview’ which explains the process. You can also take a ‘guided tour’
- Then click ‘Find A project’
- Your Indexing progress can be viewed through the ‘Web Indexing’ tab and there is also a Help tab
Thank you again to the attendees. It was good to see you. Welcome also to our new committee members.
Our next meeting will be on Saturday 29th May at 14.00hrs BST.